The Department of Microbiology along with its Central laboratory is currently situated in the OPD Building of Dr. S.C.G.M.C, Nanded.
The department was established in 1990 to aid the clinicians with rapid and correct diagnosis of Infectious diseases and to guide them to provide proper treatment to the patients.
The department has separate labs dedicated to different aspects of Microbiology.
The department, since its early days has undergone radical changes, improving constantly, incorporating newer and better automated instruments for better and rapid diagnosis of various diseases.
The Department is committed towards establishing a state of art VRDL, to aid in the rapid diagnosis of COVID-19 and also many other viruses causing diseases in humans.
The Department also takes pride in imparting quality education to both undergraduate and post-graduate students and producing brilliant Microbiologists, to serve the patients.
Department of Microbiology has a mission to upgrade to state of art, in diagnostic and research services and to continue providing quality diagnostic services towards patient care.
• To continue evolving, incorporating both, the conventional techniques as well as the newer automated techniques in the diagnosis of infectious diseases
• To expand the plethora of diagnostic services, so as to be able to detect most of the Infectious agents prevalent in India.
• To continue imparting quality education to the students and keep producing more and more number of High quality Doctors, in service of the country.
• In this department training is given to Undergraduate students regarding various aspects of infectious diseases and its microbial etiology. These trainings are given in the form of lectures, practicals, experiments, seminars, case studies, tutorials, demonstrations, museum literatures, colorful charts etc. The information is given about the various referral facilities (and associated work done in our laboratory) available for unknown , emerging and reemerging microbes in case of outbreak, epidemic or pandemic. (Such as Hospital acquired infections, diphtheria, swine flu, rare parasitic worm, species seen etc). Most important aspect is that this department has started newer tests such as ELISA for scrub typhus in addition to dengue, and chikungunya ELISA. The rapid kits are also available for leptospira, TORCH, scrub typhus, HCV in order to avoid delay in diagnosis and hence the management. We also have CBNAAT TB centre and ICTC, PPTCT, CD4 testing centres near ART centre of institution. These centre are quite effective in timely and confirmatory diagnostic aspects of infectious etiology in HIV positive patients.
• It is mandatory to complete 1 year internship after passing MBBS. The training of interns includes the lectures and demonstrations on practical points in relation to Biomedical waste management, universal safety precautions, sterilization procedure, CSSD, sample collection and transport , needle stick injury and post exposure prophylaxis followed in our institution. We demonstrate and educate the interns about the important aspects (of above lecture series) during our hospital infection control rounds. This is done as per the guidelines of MCI & MUHS, Nashik. This kind of training help the student to understand various problems and their solution in order to curb the spread of multidrug resistant etiology of Hospital acquired infections in addition to infectious diseases. They are trained in providing health services and health education to the subordinates nursing staff, visitiors and patients.
The Indian Medical Council, has upgraded the MD seats from 1 to 5 per year since the academic year 2020-21. All the PG students are provided training in the form of section wise training, group discussion, seminars, PG activity journal club, referral services and field visits so that they learn new skills and prove their skills in Health administration, guidance and planning in future. During the three year of postgraduate training a PG student has to submit Dissertation and one published Research paper compulsorily as per the guidelines of MUHS.
It is mandatory to complete the rotations in various sections of microbiology department during postgraduate training period. Postgraduate students are posted as per the guidelines of MCI & MUHS, Nashik. This kind of training help the student to understand various aspects, newer modalities and practical utility of diagnostic tests in microbiology. They are trained in providing various diagnostic tests in microbiology in various government programmes such as IDSP, RNTCP, national leprosy control program, national vector born disease control program, NACO etc. The data obtained from these programs and health education given to these unaffordable population impartially which will be beneficial for their future.
The Government of Maharashtra has decided to start bachelor of paramedical technology (BPMT) from academic year 2016-2017. Permission was granted for 20 seats for this institute. All the BPMT students are provided teaching and training in the form of technical aspects of various diagnostic tests in microbiology in various sections of department so that they learn new skills and prove their skills in public health laboratory and health education,.
All the diploma in medical laboratory technology (DMLT) students are provided teaching and training in the form of laboratory training of technical aspects , group discussion, tutorials , lectures. The schedule is done for their rotations in various seven sections of microbiology laboratory so that they learn new skills.
The training of nursing staff includes the lectures and demonstrations on practical points in relation to Biomedical waste management, universal safety precautions, sterilization procedure, CSSD, needle stick injury and post exposure prophylaxis followed in our institution. This is done to cover the newly joined nursing staff and to refresh the updated knowledge about the same. We demonstrate and educate the nursing in charge and other staff about the important aspects (of above lecture series) during our hospital infection control rounds. This assures that each medical and paramedical staff has adequate practical knowledge about important points of infectious diseases and infection control practices.
We keep updating our officials, lab technicians and other staff by providing relevant training at concerned training centers as per ICMR, DMER, Central and State Govt. guidelines. Currently all of our teaching staff and lab technicians have undergone training for RTPCR to aid in the establishment of VRDL. Our purpose is to serve the patients in and around Nanded for timely diagnosis of COVID 19 and many other viral diseases. We have also recruited some of our staff at SRTMU, Nanded to help them in their lab for diagnosis of COVID 19. Our staff has also undergone the online training module (Diksha App) provided by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
Our staff has been updated on the AMSP using WHONET software, by undergoing training at GMC Aurangabad. This updated knowledge will play a major role in making Hospital Antibiotic Policy and various AMSP activities.
Our staff has updated knowledge in Infection Control practices. We impart this knowledge to train other hospital health care workers and oversee the implementation of proper Hospital Infection Control practices throughout the Hospital.
(Aerobic & Anaerobic)Laboratory: here all diagnostic tests related to bacteria like Gram stain, routine microscopy of fluid samples and antibiotic sensitivity testing for different samples are done. Anaerobic culture especially for OT surveillance for Cl.tetani is done.
here any suspected sample screened by special stains for fungal identification. Sample further cultured on special media for fungus.
Stool sample suspected with parasitic cause are tested here.
tests for viral infections like Hepatitis B, Dengue, Chickunguniya are done by rapid method as well as ELISA (confirmatory) method.
We do detection of M.tuberculosis bacteria which is causative agent of Tuberculosis.
The departmental museum has models, mounted models, wooden charts, banners, posters, catalogues are available for undergraduate & post graduate teaching.
• Serology and Emergency Lab
• Incharge room
• For HIV diagnosis and Counseling (OPD-130)
• CD4 Counting
|1.||Dr.S.R.More||Professor and Head||9970054432
|4.||Dr.Rohit Sinha||Assistant Professor||9767123061
|1.||Mrs.S.V.Aasthurkar||Data entry Operator||9767440043|